Friday, October 24, 2014

Review of Axel by Harper Sloan

Synopsis: Fate hasn’t always been friends with Isabelle West. In fact, fate has been a downright bitch. 

Isabelle has learned the hard way how hard life can be when fate isn’t by your side. It can hand you dreams on silver platters, but it can snatch them right back and hand you nightmares. One thing Isabelle knew for sure fate was consistent with was taking away everything she ever loved.

For the last two years Isabelle has been slowly clearing the clouds of her past. Happiness is finally on the horizon. She has a thriving business, great friends, and her life back. All she has to do is jump over the last hurdle…her ex-husband. 

When problems start causing her to fear her new life, and memories that are better left forgotten start rushing to the surface the last thing she needs is a ghost from her past to come knocking on her door. 

Axel never thought he would look into the eyes of Isabelle West again, and he wasn’t sure he wanted to now. He’s carried his anger for so long he isn’t sure he can just turn it off, but when he is faced with protecting her and an unexpected desire to have her again, life gets a little more complicated. 

How will Axel and Isabelle deal when all their cards are put on the table and everything they thought was true blows up in their faces? 


Note from the author--This book is intended for a mature reading audience and isn't suitable for younger readers.
4 Stars!

Review: I have heard so many good things about the Corp Security series that I finally had to start it. I had my description of hot, alpha male, have to be in control guys, and, in that, this book did not disappoint. There are a few other things that did disappoint me, however, and that prevented me from giving this a higher score than I wanted to. In some way, I want to give this a little less, but, for me, I do think it was a solid 4.

To begin with, the author does provide a warning that there will be physical violence in the book, so it could be a trigger for some. I read one review that was upset that she did not warn for each event that had violence, but, in my opinion, any warning at all is better than some books, so I was prepared. Also, based on the events and the relationship that Izzie has with her ex-boyfriend, and, knowing that a plot was needed for Axel to come back into her life and be the alpha, I kind of knew that more might come. So, I wasn't surprised by any additional violence. However, be warned, there is more than one scene of physical violence, so proceed with caution.

Isabelle, or Izzy, has definitely had a very tough life, and she continues to take that out, not only on herself, but also on her two closest friends, Dee and Greg. In my mind, I keep wondering what they are getting out of it because they are the ones always giving, and she is the one constantly taking. I know that people react to traumatic events in many different ways. Izzy's is to cry, even though she says she doesn't cry, I feel like every other scene with her, she is...or she is trying to drink everything away. This description probably makes it seem like I don't like her, and, I guess I'm a little torn on her because there are many times that I DO like her. There are many times when she seems to be "the old Izzy" and she is likable. I'm not sure if that is maybe the author's way of showing what a wreck she was before Axel comes back or what?

Axel does re-appear in her life, however, and that is definitely when the story picks up for me. It felt like it took forever for the two of them to really untangle everything, which brings back many of Izzy's annoying qualities that I've already mentioned, but they do finally talk. I think that their talk, their unraveling of the past, and both of their reactions to what they learn is what really redeems this book for me. Axel was kind of a jerk to her, but his response to the events that happened to Izzy and all that she, and he, lost, was really amazing. It made me actually like him, when before, I was really rooting for Izzy's friend Greg. I also wish we got to see more of Axel and Izzy in the present, as opposed to knowing that so much of their connection happened in the past.

All in all, I can't wait to read the rest of the series, especially Locke's. I just hope the rest of the ladies don't cry as much.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment