Friday, August 29, 2014

Review of King (VIP Room #3) by Jamie Begley

Synopsis: King
My good intentions always led to disaster. The cold hard truth is that I was never meant to be a father to Lily. Staying in Treepoint, Kentucky for a few weeks to get to know my daughter was meant to be a time of discovery, instead I find out that she’s married to a killer and living in a sex club. I’m going to find out how to destroy The Last Riders and give Lily the future she deserves.

Evie

He thinks I’m a whore; he doesn’t know me. I’m nobody’s fool, but he thinks he’s going to use me to find The Last Riders only weakness. That’s his biggest mistake of all. There’s more to me than meets the eye. King thinks he’s too good for me, that I’m less than dirt in his eyes. What the King of Queen City is going to find out too late is that I’m his judge, and I hold his life in my hands.

4 Stars!

Review: I was not sure how I was going to feel about King in this book. I'll be honest, I have not read the other two VIP books, although I most likely will now that I have read this book in the series. I read this book to get Evie's story, and I have been following the Last Rider's for quite a while. This book took me a little by surprise. 


At the start of the story, King is still in town after being shot and wounded while trying to save his daughter's life. He has realized all of the mistakes that he made in giving Lilly up and trusting that others would take care of her, and he does not trust anyone to take care of her now. And yet, she is deep in the midst of the Last Riders MC, as she is married to Shade. King decides that he will take down the MC in order to keep her safe. The way that he decides to do that is to develop a relationship with Evie, which he believes he can easily do once he finds out what type of club The Last Riders is. 

Evie and the rest in the MC know exactly what King is up to, and Evie goes along with it to find out more information about him. They are not convinced that he should be in Lilly's life, either. She goes back to Queen's City to "take a vacation" and get close to King. They both know what the other is doing, and yet they begin to actually care about the other person, anyways. 

Evie was definitely the more likeable of the female Last Rider's, so I was interested to find out her story. And wow - does her story break your heart! I was also a little saddened because she has basically been acting out on past trauma for years, and whether she or any of the other Last Rider's realize it, she has just continued to hurt herself and keep herself locked away, inside of herself. King is, strangely enough, the one to finally begin to open her up again because he lays his claim to her and lets her know that he does not share. Evie has been giving herself away for hears, and she finally has someone to give back to her. 

King has fought his way to where he is now, however, so he does not trust easily, either. He has to figure out how much he wants to stay protected or whether or not he wants to give his heart and his trust to someone else. It is a long road for these two, and neither of them lives in a safe world, so there are others waiting for them to fail. 

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment