Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Review of Take Me for Granted by K.A. Linde

Synopsis: Grant. Manwhore. Adrenaline junkie. Lead singer of ContraBand. What you see is what you get. I make no apologies for my actions, and by now no one expects any from me. I live my life the way I want and as long as it pushes the demons back, then I'm solid. I've never needed a chick for more than a good lay. Why would I need just one when I can have a different one every night?

Until she walks into my world.

Aribel. Mouthy. Perfectionist. Princeton student. Chemistry major. Yes, that pretty much describes me. Oh, and virgin. But I'm only nineteen, and have more important things to concern myself with. What really matters is finishing my degree and getting a good job. I’ve worked hard for what I want, and do what’s expected of me. I don’t need anyone to get in my way.

Until he opens up my world.

But if I give you my world, whatever you do…don’t TAKE ME for granted.

5 Stars!

Review: I love K.A. Linde's books! I have been a fan of hers since reading the Avoiding series, and I have really enjoyed seeing her writing evolve and her scenes getting steamier!! Grant and Aribel's story is so well done, and it really seems to capture so much of what happens in college and early 20's.

Aribel is very serious, studious and detached. She focuses so much on school and what she needs to accomplish because she's been brought up in this very black and white atmosphere - everything has a specific time and place. Grant is the opposite. He is living for the next show that his band, ContraBand, has, and he is enjoying life one girl, or sometimes more, at a time. They meet, not under the best circumstances, and neither of their lives could possibly be the same after that.

One of Grant's band mates, Vin, tries to drug Aribel to get her to sleep with him, but she sees him and, instead, gives the drink to Grant. I was a little concerned that Aribel didn't make a little bit more of a big deal out of this going forward - it's like no one really seemed to be concerned about this action...which may be a very realistic reaction from that age group, but concerning, none the less. Grant can't help but to notice Aribel after that, however, and her consistently telling him "no" keeps him interested. He wears her down, and they begin to date. I really enjoyed seeing the story broken down into their different dates, as opposed to their relationship being glossed over or described in one paragraph. You see that Aribel helps Grant see that there is more to life than one show at a time, and Grant helps Aribel see that it's okay to live life in color. Nothing is black and white - including their relationship.

When you add to all of this that so many around them want to see them fail, it creates a wonderful story of new love that is trying to survive despite everything going on around it. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment