Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Review of Hero by Leighton Del Mia

Synopsis: Calvin Parish - They call me Hero. I defend. I protect. I ask for nothing in return, and that makes me good. Doesn’t it?

That which makes me the ultimate predator also feeds dark impulses I’ve learned to control—until I bring her too close. For years I’ve watched her from afar, but what started out as duty has become obsession.

Cataline Ford - I work hard. I play by the rules. I’m content. My scars are quiet and invisible, and that keeps me hidden. Doesn’t it?

One fateful walk home, I’m taken by someone I didn’t know I should fear. Captive and afraid, nobody will tell me why I’m confined to this hauntingly beautiful mansion. I’m given everything; I have nothing. He takes what he needs from me, and for that I hate him. But I might have loved him once.

And just because you’re reading this doesn’t mean I survive him.

"Escape is now her singular obsession, the need for it all but physiological. But freedom is the only thing I can't give her, because I have an obsession of my own: her safety. Or, maybe now, just her."

HERO is a dual POV, standalone erotic novel. WARNING: meant for a mature audience due to dark themes including non- or dubious-consent.
Review: 4 Heroic Stars
This book was very different from what I was expecting when I began reading it. I am glad that it was different, though, so I will try to be careful and not give away too much information for other readers. This story is about Cataline, who has basically been on her own since she was a young child. She lives with her crazy roommate, Frida, who is always trying to push Cataline to try new things and come out of her comfort zone. Cataline is on the quiet side and basically seems to enjoy being on her own and working at Parrish Media, where she spends much of her time watching her boss, Calvin Parrish, stomp around and glare at her.
From page one, the story is set in what seems to be a pretty chaotic city, where a masked person, whom everyone has dubbed "Hero" acts as a sort of vigilante justice. He is not working with the police, but he is doing what they are not always able to due to the legal system - he is catching the bad guys. Cataline also seems to have a very strong impression and regard for Hero, and, once you read it, I'm sure you will see that much of that stems from her background and her wish to have been rescued at different points throughout her life. Life completely changes for Cataline, however, when she is kidnapped off the street while on her way home from work. This is the beginning of her story as a captive, as a bird that is set in an un-escapable nest. I really enjoyed the author's analogy of the bird and nicknaming Cataline, "Sparrow".
Cataline is at the mercy of her captor at this point, although several months go by before she begins to interact with him. As for her captor, you begin to see that he is at the mercy of his own identity. He, too, struggles against captivity, but it is of his own and other, outside people's, making. Please do not be mistaken that her captor is a good guy. This is a dark book, and there is dubious and non-consent involved in matters of a sexual nature. I'm going to say one word, and once you read this book, you will know what I mean - candlestick. Wow. Holy Hotness. Cataline begins to consider herself broken at one point. However, you begin to see that Cataline's brokenness can only be fixed by one person - her captor. He, too, has enemies, however, so you will have to see what happens. I am planning on reading the next book that is out regarding Cataline and Calvin - Keep Me - because I DO want to know what happens after breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment