Saturday, February 22, 2014

Introduction - Jess

I've been a big reader pretty much my whole life. I remember having a Babysitter's Club book light that I would use to sneak and read at night when I was supposed to be in bed. I remember graduating from Babysitter's Club and Nancy Drew to authors like Judith McNaught and Julie Garwood because my mom also read those books. In the past several years, I have been amazed at the number of authors out there, especially the Indie authors that have really become more available with e-books. I remember reading Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, and all of a sudden, my suggested reads had some really cool authors, such as Jessica Park, Colleen Hoover, K.A. Linde, etc. Then, in early 2012, I started hearing the name Christian Grey. Then, it was everywhere on Facebook. Even women that I never would have thought would read a book, period, much less a steamy book, were saying how amazing it was. So, I finally read it and couldn't agree more - I think many of us will always have love for Christian - DESPITE who was cast to play him in the movie. :) So, now, I typically read books in the New Adult Genre, Contemporary Romance, or Erotica. I'm a sucker for motorcycle club books and MMA fighter books. I came across Madeline Sheehan's books, and basically, if a synopsis tells me that this isn't for everyone, and it's gritty and raw, I'm on it! My favorite author is always kind of changing because there are so many talented authors out there right now. I think I like when authors push the boundaries - people like M. Robinson, Jettie Woodruff, Madeline Sheehan, and Aleatha Romig. If you can make me love a guy and want him to be my book boyfriend even though I should hate him, then my hat is off to you. So, here are a few questions that us ladies have come up with to give you a snapshot of some of us:
1. What is your favorite book, and why? For me, I think that my love of difficult men began with Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. For every difficult man that I read about, I think that I can always take it back to him.
2. Who is your favorite author, and why? Jamie McGuire because she wrote an amazing story that also opened me up to a new genre - New Adult - and she brought me into Indie authors (many of which are now published, by the way).
3. Who is your favorite book boyfriend, and why? Part of me wants to choose someone like Christian Grey, Gideon Cross, or even Tony Rawlings, in all his complicated glory - the rich, alpha guy, but then I recognize that I also like the sweet, sexy guy that might be a little bit musical and creative (much like my own husband), so I would have to go for Kellan Kyle from the Thoughtless series.
4. What female character am I most like, and why? I think that this one can change frequently, as I come across so many different books. Right off the top of my head, though, I'm immediately thinking of Mia Murphy. I came across this book recently about a married woman whose husband admits that he almost cheated on her with a random woman while he was away on a business trip. This book is called Man of My Dreams by Faith Andrews. I have not had that experience, but I found myself identifying so much with her and how she responded to the situation. I felt like it was actually pretty realistic, and she thought things through so similarly to how I do. So, I think it would be her - for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment